New to Universal Credit

2. Making your claim

Most people will make their Universal Credit claim online, where you can also find support to help you make your claim.

If you are part of a couple and living in the same household, you will need to make a joint claim for Universal Credit. You will receive a single monthly payment for your whole household.

Find out more about making a claim

New style JSA and new style ESA

If you have worked as an employee and paid enough National Insurance contributions you may also be able to get either new style Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or new style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You will apply for new style JSA or new style ESA separately to Universal Credit. You can apply for them and Universal Credit at the same time. If you get these benefits at the same time as you get Universal Credit, your Universal Credit payments will be reduced. For every £1 you receive from them, your Universal Credit payment will be reduced by £1.