Home / How could Universal Credit help you? / Support if you’re unable to work

Support if you’re unable to work

If you have a health condition or disability that prevents you from working, or limits the amount of work you can do, Universal Credit can support you.

If you can’t work now but may be able to prepare for work – with the aim of working in the future – work coaches can provide support and advice that will help you move closer to starting work. This could include:

  • finding appropriate training, including access to government schemes like Kickstart, JETS, and SWAPS if you are eligible 
  • accessing additional help – financial or otherwise
  • directing you to mental health support
  • putting you in touch with support groups or other organisations who could help

If you are unable to work, Universal Credit can still provide with both financial and work-related support.

Find out more about how Universal Credit could support you if you have a health condition or disability.

Managing your money 

By getting Universal Credit as a single payment, you might find it easier to manage your money. A range of support services are available to help you budget, including an online service, advice sessions by phone, or face-to-face support.

Find out more about help with managing your money and how Universal Credit is calculated

Already getting a different form of financial support? 

If you’re already receiving other benefits and tax credits (including Child Tax Credits, Housing Benefit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Working Tax Credit), it might be worth considering what Universal Credit can offer.

You can use a benefits calculator to get an understanding of what support may be available and how much you may be entitled to. 

If you are receiving income-based JSA, income-related ESA, Income Support or Housing Benefit you may receive up to an additional 2 weeks’ worth of those payments, where you either choose to claim Universal Credit, or there is a change in your circumstances that means you need to claim Universal Credit.

It is important to make sure you will be able to get Universal Credit before you apply for it. If you currently receive other benefits or tax credits and submit a claim for Universal Credit, those other benefits and tax credits will end immediately. If your benefit or tax credit award ends, it cannot be re-opened, and it will not be possible to make a new benefit or tax credit claim in the future, even if your Universal Credit application is unsuccessful. 

If you are currently claiming other benefits or tax credits, and your circumstances change (such as moving in with a partner, or losing your job), you may need to apply for Universal Credit.