Already claimed

6. Extra support you may be entitled to

If you receive Universal Credit you may be able to get some extra support. Here’s just a few examples:

  • Help with health costs, including prescriptions and dental treatment
  • Additional help towards housing payments if your Universal Credit payment is not enough to pay your rent
  • Free school meals
  • Free early education for two-year-olds
  • Sure Start maternity grants
  • Cold Weather Payments
  • Support with travel costs to attend job interviews or start work
  • Support with provision of clothing to start work
  • Support with upfront childcare costs until you receive your first wage

Whether you can receive this extra support will depend on your personal circumstances and, in some cases, where you live.

Find out more about these and the other extra services you may be able to receive

If you receive Universal Credit you may have to pay less in Council Tax, but you will need to apply for that separately. You can start the process to apply for Council Tax Reduction on GOV.UK. You can apply for a Council Tax Reduction straight away – you do not need to wait until your claim for Universal Credit has been approved or paid.

Universal Credit claimants may also be able to get help with their savings. If you’re claiming Universal Credit and your household income in your last assessment period was £542.88 or more, you may be able to open a Help to Save account. Through it you could get a bonus of 50p for every £1 you save over 4 years.